Friday, September 14, 2012

What's Going On?

This has been a very busy week. I haven't even had much time to sit down and knit. Sad face here...

Stephanie and I are planning on having a yard sale the first weekend in October, so I have been trying to get stuff together for that, while at the same time, trying to declutter. How did I get so much STUFF? This is going to take a while.

I finished organizing my yarn closet. I should have taken a picture of the back bedroom when I had all my yarn scattered all over it, but I was too embarrassed. I read that the best way to declutter something is to take everything out of it. That's true. Now my yarn closet is clean and organized. All the yarn is separated into different yarn weight categories. You can't see all the yarn on both sides of the closet, but believe me, it's all organized. Now I don't have to duck and cover when I open this closet door. Smile!


This week I also made liquid hand soap. This was very easy, fun, and very inexpensive. All it takes is 2 tablespoons of glycerin. Eight ounces of soap, shredded, I used Ivory, and 1 gallon of water. 


Combine the water and glycerin, and heat it up over low/medium heat, and add the shredded soap.


Stir while the soap melts down. I didn't stir constantly, but I stirred very often.


When the soap it finished melting down, let it sit for 10-12 hours, or overnight. It will start clouding up after about 4 hours, and then become very thick. I mixed it up really well with a mixer before I poured it into jars. If it is very thick, you may have dilute it with a little water, and shake it well.


Next time I make homemade laundry detergent I'll put it on here too. But it may be awhile. I made my first batch the first of June, and I still have a lot of it left. 

We had a couple of birthdays this week too. Jason Arnold's, my son-in-law, was the 10th, which also would have been my parents 52nd wedding anniversary, and Weston's was the 12th.

Stephanie had everyone over for a spaghetti dinner, Weston's choice, and cake. 




After everyone left their house, Jason and Weston went fishing together. This was part of their haul...




They had a really good birthday. 

On the 12th I noticed that my grandson Aiden was in the paper. The fire chief came to his class on the 11th to talk about 9/11, and read them a book called "The Little Chapel That Stood". It looks like all the children were really taking in this story. There's Aiden, in the back, really concentrating...


Randy and I went out shopping yesterday, and he bought me a pretty new cookie jar. He's so sweet!

While I was making soap this week, Randy, Stephanie and her children went on a hike. We have some of the most beautiful places here in Arkansas, I believe. These  pictures were taken at Dry Run Creek, by the fish hatchery.















Look like fun to you? I'm sorry I missed it, but I'm thankful that Stephanie took a lot of pictures for me. They said it would have been too long of a hike for me and my knee. Sad face...
But I'm glad they had fun.

How was your week?