Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Story of Wool

Hey there! Long time no see! :-) I know, I know, I haven't blogged in a while. I've just been so busy. What with the garden, and incubating chickens and quail. Also lot's and lot's of family get-togethers, canning and processing, and of course, spinning and knitting.
Speaking of spinning (glad you brought that up :-)) I'm starting a new spinning project. Today I opened up a new bag of wool, and it is gorgeous. I haven't ventured into the world of raising my own sheep, shearing and processing it from start to finish. I can usually find a good deal on eBay for some that is ready to start spinning.

This is what I opened up today.


This is some gorgeous superwash merino with about 30% silk. It is deliciously soft and I have a pound of it. :-)

Poor Ginger, she thought this might be nice to nap in, but she was denied. Sorry Gingin.





First I divide it up into eight equal piles.



Then rolled them up into easily managed balls.


Now I'm ready to start spinning. 

Before I do that let me real quickly show you what I just finished. This was a pound of 100% Shetland wool which looked pretty much like the merino superwash above before I spun it up. And this is what it looked like after I spun it. Believe me, it IS as soft as it looks.





This was of course before I dyed it.

This was after I dyed it a soft red. 


Brittney once wrote a two part story about the memaw who loves red. :-) 

And now I shall start spinning so, to be continued...